Thursday, November 11, 2010

Blog Post #5: A Jouney - Reflections of Oral Presenation

It all started with an idea to change orientation in NUS which ultimately led to a presentation that could possibly make an impact in someone's life. The journey towards the oral presentation was a unique and memorable one. A personal journey that is worth to reflect upon:

Preparation

I personally felt that the key to a successful presentation would be to focus your content into one main objective.  Hence, during the group's preparation phase, the constant reminder that we are "selling a product" was the analogy I adopted to steer every group member into a common direction.

While preparing for the presentation, I had in mind different ideas to present my section, such as having a mini game, quiz and even a rap. The availability of options gave me more freedom in choosing my style of presenting instead of being confined to a "standard protocol" of presentation.

As much as the unique choice of mode of presentation would add fluff and excitement to the audience, the main "attention seeker" would indefinitely be ME. Being naturally shy, the need to build self-confidence when speaking to a crowd was a gradual process. I started by speaking more to my hall friends on random occasions and this gradually evolved to speaking to groups of people in a more casual setting to build my confidence in public speaking. In addition, the familiarity of content was an added advantage in building self-confidence for the presentation.

Having been through a formal assessment on presentation during the peer teaching, I took note on the pointers for improvements that were given to me and reminded myself to be cautious about it.

On the note of improvement, I felt that individually and as a group, we could have planned our timeline to prepare for our presentation better. I felt that the group could have allocated more time for rehearsal which would lead to better cohesiveness in the presentation.

Delivery

During the day of presentation, I felt that my greatest achievement was the self-confidence I had managed to exude to the audience. Although this was partially given away by my extraordinary quick paced of speaking, I was satisfied that I did not shy away from establishing eye-contacts with individuals of the audience or "seek refuge" by constantly looking at the screen.

I felt that the transitions of the slides were smooth. Due to the mental preparation I had on the sequence of appearance for animation, there was minimal need for me to turn my head to look what appeared on the screen and thus allowing me to constantly focus my attention on the audience.

The mental visualisation of the orientation of the venue setting allowed me to select the position I would like to take when presenting. This led to a much better stance as compared to the experience I had during peer teaching and thus not compromising on the audience's attention on the speaker and the screen.

In the verbal aspect of the delivery, I felt that the use of rhetorical questions at the start of my section was a good approach to capture the attention of my audience as my section was rather factual and informative. However, I do have to concede that I did repeat the word "itself" excessively and was having a hard time to control my "habit". My tone and volume of speech was not too intimidating and hopefully friendly enough to establish a rapport with the audience I am communicating with.

One major mistake that I made during the presentation was to let the audience wait. I once again sincerely apologise for the delay to the start of the presentation.

Use of Slide ware

I felt that I had fully utilised the functions that I am familiar with PowerPoint for this presentation. This is in terms of animations and the use of contrasting colour to enhance the point that I am trying to focus on.
  

Use of Colour Contrast to highlight points

The use of SmartArt and pictures I had for orientation greatly facilitated my other group member's presentation.  

SmartArt used in Presentation Slide to enhance understanding of concept

Use of Orientation Photos to enhance presentation experience

However, I felt that I could further improve on the aesthetic aspect of the design of the PowerPoint slides. This would definitely take time as I would have to further enhance on my individual technical capabilities.

I had presented a one year proposed timeline in the form of a modified Gantt Chart. I have to admit that the diagram may be too small for viewing, but till date, I have no idea how to better present the diagram other than to print it on a bigger paper size. Any suggestions?

Concluding Statement

I thank you for reading the small snippet of thoughts I had with regards to the oral presentation. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my group mates, Wee Boon and Yitong, for going through this journey with me as fellow friends.

Wee Boon - Thank you for being accommodating despite being a busy pharmacist-to-be and supportive of the presentation ideas we had.

Yitong - Thank you for being the jovial and bubbly individual for the group, constantly making the meeting enjoyable and fun to be in.

Lastly, a BIG thank you to Brad and the rest of the class for being such wonderful audiences. I was so afraid that no one would ask our group questions due to the proximity to the end of class, hence I was very appreciative that each of you had feedback and queries for us. (:

9 comments:

  1. Is this post the same as the last one or is it a different post altogether??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We c an see that it is different, right, Jonathan?

    Thanks for the detailed account. It offers many insights into your process, and as always, I appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yes, both posts are different from each other. I was hoping that the previous post could be used to gather feedback on the concepts of the proposal, whereas this post would serve as a feedback for the presentation section (:

    Hope this helps in the clarifications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh!! haha!! anyway that would be my feedback yah? haha!! :) shall copy and paste it here.. :) cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan,

    Thank you for the post! I had commented on your previous post that we need to write an oral presentation instead of asking the audience for feedback, then the computer couldn't load the page, and the very next day, you put up your Oral Presentation. So you knew after all!

    Regarding your preparation, I applaud your group's strategy to narrow down the details (mentioned in Yi Tong's comments). Well done!

    Regarding your delivery, you spoke fluently with no sign of nervousness (did not notice that you spoke extraordinarily fast), had clear diction and good voice projection. You stood near to the audience, which was good and allowed us to see and hear you better. Also, you accompanied your speech with appropriate hand gestures. You did maintain eye contact, but I felt it was focused more to your left with occasional quick glances to your right.

    Regarding the slides, I do not think the lack of design is much of a problem at all, because it helped illustrate what you wanted to say. The part that was not so clear was the 'Feedback from Offices'. During the initial part, it was mentioned that your group's plan would help better utilize resources compared to the conventional orientation camps, and I was hoping it would be addressed in your part but there wasn't much elaboration or it could be the link wasn't that quite clearly established.

    Nevertheless, I thought your group presented well overall. Thank you for the effort!

    P.s.: You can try separating the time -frame for the Gantt chart into two different table? That should leave more room for each cell. Just a suggestion! There could be other more sophisticated means out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jonathan!
    It was truly a great experience working with you you. Your spontaniety and quick-wits were tremendous assets to the team. I really couldn't imagine how we would have survived the deadlines and impromptu discussions without you!
    I really appreciated the commitment you have in the project, and really, thanks for being there for the team. I do regret that my never-ending barrage of CAs had not allowed me full participation in the eleventh deadline rushes. But to quote Yitong, you are indeed a "deadline killer", being able to craft great work (proposal and ppt slides compilation) in a short span of time.
    You had a good sense of direction-- often, you had steered our team in the appropriate direction in the changing winds-- and was making sure we stay on course. So all I conclude is that it was a huge learning experience working with you.
    As for the presentation skills that I so admire you for, I believe everyone in class can attest to it. So I shall leave it here.

    All the best for your future endeavours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Daniel: Haha sure, thanks for the feedback, will be mindful about it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Steph: Hi, thank you for the compliment! With regards to the slide from the feedback from NUS offices, the lack of clarity could be due to the fact that the slide was just pictures of the offices whom we hope to work with. In addition, I got to apologise if the feedback given to us was not too clear as we had just received their reply a few hours before the presentation.

    To clarify your uncertainty on the utilisation of current NUS resources, we are referring to current NUS workshops that are currently held independently by the various individual NUS offices. For example, NUS Library holds their individual workshop on the usage of the library portal and CDTL holds independent workshop on using common computer programmes to enhance one's competency to meet the demands of university. These workshops would usually require students to sign up separately and at times, students are not able to make time for the workshop due to lessons even though they would wish too. For some workshops, attendance is low and would deemed as a waste of human and logistics resources. Thus, we hope that through the proposed orientation module, we could consolidate all this workshops into a single "programme" so that all undergraduates would be able to undergo them, and hence, better utilisation of existing resources that NUS offices already offer.

    Hope this helps in clarification, if not feel free to leave a comment (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi deadline killer and super project man who always saved our project in the last minute~~~
    You did a very gd presentation and .....just I got nothing about your shortage to comment. Still I got the feeling for every time you did your presentation, you should be in the bank! You sounds so persuasive and so confident, that if you stay in the lab, it is a waste of your talent!
    As your teammate, I am very happy to work with you. Because I always know that jonothan could get everything well done in the last minute. Which calmed me down when deadline came and during the presentation. Again, thank you for your effort put in the project~and thank you for everything~
    God bless u~~

    ReplyDelete