Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blog Post #2: Can Martians and Venusians Communicate?

“Men just don’t get it”

A quote taken from a campaign marketing a credit card specially catered for ladies aptly describes how at times women are just frustrated when men do not understand their intentions.

Are men that dumb to not know the intentions? Or are men and women not meant to be understood by the opposite gender?

*************

Sarah's account

I had just given birth to my very first daughter, Michelle, a few weeks ago. Not only was I completely exhausted, but I was also in extreme pain from the after birth. My husband, Walter, returned to work after taking care of me for five days. While he was away, I ran out of painkillers.

I did not want to disturb him from his day job and called my visiting friend to purchase some painkillers along the way, but when she arrived, she had no pills with her. Consequently, I spend the whole day in pain while taking care of the newborn.

When Walter returned home, I did not understand why he didn’t show me concern, neither did he sensed that I was upset. When I sounded out to him that my painkillers were gone and that nobody cared. He complained that I could have called him and headed for the door.

*************

Walter’s account

Being a new father was not easy. Not only do you have to provide emotional comfort to your newborn and the new mother, you also have to ensure that you are able to provide for both of them financially. I could only take a few days of leave to take care of Sarah, after which I had to return back to work.

I came back home one day and saw that Sarah was not her usual self. Thinking that Michelle might have given Sarah some trouble, I decided to check on our baby girl and she was sleeping soundly in the crib. When I went back to look for Sarah, she started complaining about nobody cared for her. I knew that she was tired, but so was I. I made sure that Michelle was safe before attending to her, was Sarah being jealous because of my actions?

Sarah then complained about her painkillers being out of supply. Sensing that she was trying to be picky on small little issues, I headed for the door to break the emotional outpour.

*************

Who do you think is at wrong?

(I apologise for the late posting, ths post was saved as a draft and was not published s:)

2 comments:

  1. Men just don't get it, and I am a man. Therefore.....

    I need some context for this post, Jonathan. I see it as an imaginative approach to the conflict description specified per the assignment, but it would have been helpful to have a bit more detail in the intro related to this husband/wife thing. Why are we here in a discussion of interpersonal conflict? Just a sentence would have been good as a lead in.

    Also, are these fictitious characters? Do you know these people?

    This reminds me of the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus book that came out a few years ago.

    I wish that some of your blog group members would have responded. It's your responsibility to make that *communication* happen, both by timely posting and, at least, by a bit of nagging.

    As far as language use is concerned, there are a few problems here:

    1) I spend the whole day >>> ?

    2) and that nobody cared. He complained

    3) Being a new father was not easy. Not only do you have to provide emotional comfort to your newborn and the new mother, you also have to ensure that you are able to provide for both of them financially. >>> verb tense inconsistency

    4) about nobody cared >>> that nobody cared

    Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha~this post reminds me of the book: women from Venus and men from Mars. Women and men get a different structure of their brain and therefore then tend to react in a very different way facing to the same situation. Men treat relationship as a project while women treat it as the whold world. I guess this kind of gender conflict is really very common but we did not get a lot of effective solutions about this....seriously....based on my own experience..:)

    ReplyDelete